Friday, October 31, 2014

10:25pm Boo!

Dear A,

It's hard to believe another month has come and gone... and although I'm not a huge fan of November, it just means we're one month closer to my favorite month of the year!

Halloween is my least favorite holiday. I've told you this before. I loved it when I was a kid and I can remember desperately begging my parents go to trick-or-treating on October 29th or 30th just to see if anyone would give out candy ahead of time because I was too impatient to wait until the 31st. My mom made my brother and I a costume every year and my dad would take us out trick-or-treating with all our friends until very late at night just to make sure we got all the best candy.

I would always be too scared to ring the doorbell, too shy to say "trick-or-treat" out loud and too timid to walk past any spooky decorations alone, but I loved the lawless feeling of Halloween night. I loved carving homegrown pumpkins and stringing cobwebs across our front door. I loved making our special Halloween Jell-o brain.

And then I got older, and the costumes for girls got shorter and tighter and I hated haunted houses and feeling sick to my stomach from eating too much sugar. I hated Halloween parties and watching scary movies just because everyone else wanted to. I hated being too old for trick-or-treating but too young to stay home and pass out candy.

Perhaps I'll learn to love this holiday again when I have my own kids who will want me to make them Halloween costumes, put up decorations and take them trick-or-treating. Yes, I'm sure it will be better then. But in the meantime I'll just be thankful that Halloween means we're one day closer to Christmas.

Love, M

No comments:

Post a Comment