Saturday, October 18, 2014

11:45pm We're Writing Together

Dear A,

You and I have been Skyping for the last four and a half hours... and it's almost like you're here with me working on your article. Thank goodness for free video chatting, right? I haven't really been doing much in the last four hours. I've picked out some Christmas presents for other people, sent a couple emails, read the Huffington Post headlines and checked the weather for the week. But mostly I've just been listening to you mumble to yourself about what you're writing.

It might seem like an evening wasted, but I really do enjoy this. Just like that night we spent reading in my bed. I'm glad that we don't have to fill all of our silences with words. I think that says a lot about two people. There's nothing I hate more than feeling like I have to force conversation, it's exhausting and meaningless. I'm glad I don't feel that way with you.

If someone had told me a year ago that someday I'd be in this position with you, I never would have believed it. This time last year, you were still a "what if." There might still be a thousand "what ifs" regarding you and I, but there is also a lot more clarity, and for that I am thankful.

Love, M
____________

"Home"
Michael Buble

and I feel just like I'm living someone else's life
it's like I just stepped outside
when everything was going right
and I know just why you could not
come along with me
this was not your dream
but you always believed in me

No comments:

Post a Comment