I'll take care of you, when your world bends, when the buildings break and I'll find you straight lines that hold you steady.
Because you'll need to take care of me, when my world does the same.
***
There is a passage in the Bible that says wives should submit to their husbands, and this line was read as by the officiant at the wedding this weekend. He went on an on about how the husband his the head of the family and his wife should please him because he will love her in return.
I hope the photographer didn't capture my look of disdain as these lines were being read.
If ever there was to be an equal partnership, it should be a marriage. No one should be submitting to the other, no one should be the head of the family. Decisions should be conducted democratically. Husband and wife should walk in parallel, even if that means walking into failure at times.
I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. But the part that shocked me the most was when the pastor read that passage and then proceeded to say that sometimes it's hard to live your married life in this way because it goes against what society tells us (implying equality).
I'm not religious for a lot of reasons, but I think I just found my new top contender. I could never, ever be with someone who believed that I should have to submit to him in order to be the recipient of his love. I need to be with someone who will show me grace, love, respect and devotion because I will show it in return.
Anyway, I think that's enough ranting about weddings. I need to power through the next two and a half months and finish out this semester on a strong note. I have never worked harder in my life, and I'm overjoyed to say that despite the stress and exhaustion, I'm kind of killing it here. I'm on my second week of teaching the Trojan War all by myself, and the 6th grade Latin teacher stopped me in the hall today to tell me that she's heard nothing but good things about what I've been doing.
This little birdie is on her way to finding her wings.
Love, M
No comments:
Post a Comment