Wednesday, September 3, 2014

8:56pm Thinking of an Early Bedtime

Dear A,

I witnessed a really bad car accident that took place on the street outside my window this afternoon. Well, I didn't see it happen, but I heard it, and then watched as two fire trucks, an ambulance and three police cars rushed to the scene.

Several firefighters had to use a machine to pry open the door to one of the cars and extract a girl who looked to be about my age. They immediately put a neck brace on her, strapped her to a stretcher, and whisked her away in the ambulance.

Meanwhile, the police officers were trying to get the details of the accident (I wish I had seen what happened, all I heard was a really loud screech and then a huge crash and the sound of breaking glass) and took notes and statements from those on the scene when it happened. When I walked downstairs to go to class, I heard one of the Teachers College security guards say that the people involved in the crash were TC students.

I decided to write about this because it serves as a good reminder of the fragility of life. Anything can change in an instant. We are at the mercy of the universe and even though we think we're in control of our lives, a car could come careening around the corner at just the wrong time and alter the course of everything.

This is why I try not to hold back. This is why I take the opportunity to tell you I love you whenever I can. This is why I don't think twice about spending money on plane tickets to visit the people I care about. This is why I told you that I believe in taking people exactly as they are, the good and the bad, no matter what. Because even though we want to think we're invincible, we're not. And if we waste time trying to turn people into who we think they should be for our benefit, we sacrifice knowing them for exactly who they are, and someday it might be too late.

Life isn't that long.

Love, M

No comments:

Post a Comment