Thursday, September 11, 2014

3:19pm Not Doing My Reading

Dear A,

I had to dig through some old poetry today and I came across these gems. We had to write sonnets in my senior AP Lit class and the boy I liked wrote a sonnet to me, this is what he wrote:

Your Day I’ll Be

The very first time I rose to reach your base
I saw you as a quiet and dampened flower
Beneath me fell the horizon to its place
But you the light of day did not empower

Your heavy heart so longed for something more
And broad you wished your leaves to stretch
But shadows bound you silenced on the floor
And all the light of day you did not catch

Oh come, rise up and see what I do now
Behold the beauty of your gentle face
My warmth to dry your leaves would you allow
And blades would you allow me to embrace

Though darkness comes as brings the morning dew
Your day I’ll be and sun I’ll shine for you.

And so, I wrote one back to him:


Shine For Me

The very first time you rose to show your light
I will admit my petals could not see
For whatever was blinding me from sight
Would not believe you’d ever shine for me

My heavy heart so longed for something more
And crumpled leaves desired to reach out
But the shadows which bound me to the floor
Filled me from roots to tip with doubt

Don’t give up hope, I see what you do now
Your vibrant rays have warmed my rosy face
And you to dry my leaves I will allow
As I am wrapped in your golden embrace

Though darkness may at times encompass thee,
Soon comes the day, and sun you'll shine for me.

I'm not very proud of a lot of the writing I did in high school, but I love these poems (even though one of them is written by a guy I don't even know anymore) and I wanted to share them with you. If this isn't proof that I'm a sucker for the sappy stuff, I don't know what is. 

Love, M  

No comments:

Post a Comment