Dear A,
In my Teaching of Writing class this week (which is FOREVER long... 5:15-8:45 on Thursday nights) we practiced imitative writing. The first exercise was to write a "This is Just to Say" poem in the style of Mr. William Carlos Williams. Let me jog your memory:
This is Just to Say
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox
and which you
were probably
saving
for breakfast
Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
I wrote a couple that I'm not extremely proud of, so I thought maybe I'd try to write some tonight. I'm not sure how successful this is going to be, because it's really hard to write poetry when you're not in the mood. I'm afraid I'm too hot and irritated. But I think I should challenge myself.
This is Just to Say
I have already
re-written this
three times
and I'm still
not sure
if these words are
right
Forgive me
but they
are all I have
Yep, I don't think I can do any more of this tonight. I think I have to be sad in order to write poetry, and I'm not sad right now. I'm happy. I'm happy to have this time with you.
Love, M
No comments:
Post a Comment