Wednesday, September 3, 2014

12:27am Too Humid to Sleep

The Talk
The conversation between your fingers and someone else's skin. This is the most important discussion you can ever have.
                                                                       -I Wrote This For You

Dear A,

Two years ago, in the dark days, when my life was very precarious and I wasn't sure which way things were going to go, I found solace in this book. I think I originally discovered the blog when I was scouring the Internet for the saddest things I could find to feel a little less alone in my misery.

I Wrote This For You is a combination of photographs and poetry. It's written to an undisclosed "you" and covers all the avenues of grief, happiness, love and growth. It's one of the most beautiful collections of writing I've ever read and it got me through some of my roughest nights.

I immediately bought the book, put stickey notes on all my favorite pages, and read it cover to cover countless times. Do you know how it feels to read the same book over and over and discover something new each time? Of course you do.

This entry reminds me of you.

I think it's important to remember that conversations do not have to be verbal. Communication doesn't have to exist in words, and sometimes a touch or a look is more telling than any combination of 26 letters we could ever put together.

I remember all the conversations my skin has had with your fingers.

Believe it or not, some of my favorite ways that you have touched me haven't taken place between the sheets. I like my body when it is with your body, but I like the feel of your hand on my knee while you drive just as much. I love the easy way you used to slip your fingers in between mine just before falling asleep. Sometimes it's okay for love to be passive, gentle, soft.

Love, M

No comments:

Post a Comment