Dear A,
I'm still in a state of shock and I don't think it's going to wear off until we're on the airplane that's taking us to Hawaii.
I haven't even fully processed the fact that you're going to be here in a few weeks, and now I have to wrap my head around the fact that in a little over a month we're going to be swimming with dolphins. How did this happen?
I think I have such a hard time believing it because, to be honest, I never thought anything like this would happen. I've spent so much time worrying and wondering if what we're doing is the right thing, if we are the right people for each other and if this constant state of limbo will ever end that I never really stopped to consider what it might be like to just live like normal people and travel and see things and not worry about what it all means.
And here we are, doing it! I've always believed that life should be part planning and part spontaneity, but I've never been with someone who has fostered my spontaneous side. My mother is the ultimate planner and has all her trips lined up months or years in advance. She doesn't like to do anything spur-of-the-moment and I regret that sometimes her neurotic planning rubs off on me. But I like to do things unexpected. My father and I are similar in that regard. Last year I told him we should go to Africa, and we did. I said we should go to South Carolina for Thanksgiving this year, and we are. I don't know how many more trips my dad and I are going to take, so I'm glad to have you to fulfill my spontaneous desires to see places and do things.
Now, as much as I want to stay up and look at all the things there are to do on the Big Island, I have a classroom full of middle schoolers expecting me bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow morning, so I should probably go to sleep.
Aloha!
Love, Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment