Sunday, November 2, 2014

10:14pm Not Ready for Monday

Dear A,

I feel like I've done something wrong when you say that our interests are so different you're worried we have nothing in common to share with each other. When I hear that, it makes me feel like you want someone who is your mirror image, who reflects the things that you like. That isn't me. And I can't try to fit into a mold you've already picked out for your perfect partner. But that doesn't mean we can't learn to find joy and interest in what each other likes.

I don't have much of an interest in sports or jazz because that's not something I was exposed to growing up. It's not something I participated in with my group of friends and so my knowledge of things like that is limited. In the same way, you didn't grow up going camping during your spring breaks and hiking through national parks. We just came from two very different worlds, but that doesn't mean we aren't adaptable.

You've expressed this concern with our differing interests before, and I feel sad and frustrated when you say things like that because it feels like you've already settled on a problem without first looking for a solution.

Part of being with someone (if that is, in fact, how all of this turns out) is allowing that person to expose you to new things. But it's also okay to have separate interests and hobbies. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I guess there isn't much I can say or do to change who I am at my core, but if I've told you once I've told you a thousand times that there are very few things I won't try. I just hope that there is enough about me that you do like to make up for the fact that going to a basketball game isn't at the top of my list of preferred activities.

Love, M

No comments:

Post a Comment