Friday, November 28, 2014

11:10pm Little Late Night Nothings

Dear A,

When I was thinking about whether or not we, the human race, are more alike or more different than one another, I was first thinking of it in context of me and you. I was trying to decide whether you and I, in our heart of hearts, are more alike or different. 

My first instinct was to say that we are more different. And by different I mean opposite in every imaginable way. But when I thought about it more, my mind began to change. I think, actually, we are very similar. We are obviously different in physical ways, you being a black man and I a white woman. But I think, in emotional and spiritual ways (and I don't mean spiritual in the religious sense, I mean our spirits...our essence) we are very much alike. 

I wonder if physical sameness is more bonding than non-physical sameness. Am I more likely to bond with other women of my race, hair color, height  etc. or with people who think and behave like me? I want to think that non-physical sameness is more bonding...but maybe not. Maybe we are more drawn to those who mirror us in physical ways. Or, perhaps it is different for each individual. I, personally, would much rather be with someone who is like me in non-physical ways. But does this support the adage, "opposites attract?" 

If I want someone who is like me in spirit, I don't want my opposite. I want my complementary. I want someone who is enough like me to fill in the parts of me that are lacking. Yes, I think that's what it is: we're all looking for the person who is enough like us to fill in our missing pieces, but not too similar such that we're both empty in the same places. 

That's gotta be it. 

Love, M

No comments:

Post a Comment